Sugar-free, gluten-free and dairy-free peanut butter cups
I’ve never been a fan of peanut butter – I’m not one of those people that can eat it off a spoon (I can only do that with nutella). In fact, I never liked nuts until about a year ago, and only recently started enjoying peanut butter. I still can’t just eat it out of a jar, but I enjoy using it in my cooking and the more I eat it the more I’m starting to enjoy it… probably a dangerous move!
Anyway, people have always raved about peanut butter cups so (when I was feeling a little crazy) I decided to try one. I admit – they are nice. But they are loaded with sugar, additives and all other kinds of junk. So I thought I’d try and make them myself and they turned out to be amaaaaaazing so I simply had to share the recipe with you.
Recipe (makes 6)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cacao
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- peanut butter
1) Melt the coconut oil, rice syrup and cacao powder over a low heat until it is all blended and is the consistency of melted chocolate.
2) Pour a teaspoon of the melted mixture into cupcake holders and then place in freezer for 10 minutes (or until set).
3) Take out of freezer and cover chocolate with peanut butter (about half a teaspoon).
4) Top with the remaining chocolate mixture.and pop in the freezer for 10 minutes or until set.
5) Eat (and share)
I also used silicone cupcake holders so I could get them out easily. And I would suggest making them for an occasion where they will be shared with lots of people otherwise you’ll end up eating the whole lot!