Mashed potato is an old childhood favourite of mine, especially served with sausages and gravy... yum! I regularly make this mash with my dinner to bulk out the meal without adding starchy refined carbohydrates. In fact, you would never even know it was cauliflower... with a creamy and mild taste you won't feel like you're missing out on the real thing!
Cauliflower is abundant with Vitamin C, K, B, potassium and manganese making it not only a low-calorie and low-carb side dish but also one that is reaping with health benefits. The main health benefits are collagen production which can help with ageing and wrinkles, blood pressure regulation and bone health. It is also perfect for those following a paleo or ketogenic diet, for coeliacs and for people who are lactose intolerant.
Recipe (serves 1)
- 200g cauliflower, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper, to season
- chives, to serve
1) Sauté onion and garlic in oil in a small pan until softened.
2) Add finely chopped cauliflower and 1/4 cup water.
3) Cover pan with lid to allow the cauliflower to steam for 5-10 minutes, until cooked.
4) Remove from heat and add contents of pan into a food processor/blender.
5) Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
6) Blend until smooth and creamy, sprinkle with finely chopped chives and serve hot.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do - I promise it doesn't even taste like cauliflower (my boyfriend didn't even realise it was cauliflower and he eats normal potatoes all the time!!). Give it a go and you'll be very pleasantly surprised :) and remember to let me know when you try my recipes!