One of my all-time favourite desserts is a chocolate fondant - a perfectly decadent Friday night treat! So instead of caving to the original version which is laden with sugar and refined flour, I decided to re-create a healthy version. Still full of flavour and gooey chocolatey-ness... what's not to love?
This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free and refined sugar-free (no fructose) and therefore suitable for those following a paleo diet.
Recipe (makes 4 small puddings):
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup OR 2 tbsp xylitol
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced and grease 4 small ramekins with butter (or coconut oil for dairy-free).
2) Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and add the rest of the wet ingredients.
4) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
5) Divide mixture between ramekins and cook in the oven for 10 minutes or until the mixture looks spongy but still wobbles slightly.
6) Take out the oven and eat immediately - a deliciously gooey chocolatey mess!
You can also add a square of dark chocolate in the middle of the mixture before baking if you want some real chocolate in there (and trust me - it is delisssssshhhhh). Give it a go this weekend for a dinner party, date night or even just a treat to yourself and I promise you won't regret it.