I'm a sucker for chocolate brownies and if I'm completely honest most 'healthy' brownies just don't do it for me - they don't have the same gooey decadence as normal ones. Except for this recipe.
When you eat a good brownie you want a slight crunch on the outside with the inside still soft, gooey, warm and oozing with richness. This recipe gives you all of that yet it is gluten-free and refined sugar-free... what more could you want?! There isn't really much more to say except that you HAVE to make these - they will be a crowd-pleaser for healthy and non-healthy foodies and are perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up.
In this recipe I use Naked Chocolat from The Healthy Chef range - this is a blend of raw cacao, carob powder, maca powder, Madagascan vanilla bean, cinnamon and sea salt. It is my favourite product of all time (and no, I'm not being sponsored to say this). It tastes incredible in all baked goods but you can even use it for hot (or cold) chocolate with some nut milk. The addition of carob powder and vanilla gives it enough sweetness without needing any added sugar or sweetener (some cacao can be quite bitter on its own). If you live in Australia and you can get your hands on some (you can buy it online here) then I HIGHLY recommend it - the Mylk version is also incredible.
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup /honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 50g dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan forced) and line a small square baking tin with baking paper
2) Combine dry ingredients together in a bowl (almond meal, cacao, baking powder & salt)
3) Melt coconut and whisk with sweetener of choice until well combined
4) Whisk eggs and add them to the coconut oil and sweetener mixture
5) Add wet ingredients to dry and combine
6) Add the dark chocolate and walnuts to the mixture and fold through
7) Pour mixture into baking tin and bake in oven for 20 minutes
8) Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and eating!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do - make sure you tag me on Instagram (@josie_eatyourselfstrong) or let me know when you make any of my recipes!
*Remember that these healthy sweet treats should still be consumed in moderation*