Flapjacks are such a great snack to have on hand when you need a quick fix of energy. Full of complex carbs from the oats and healthy fats from the nut butter, this recipe will fill you up and satisfy any sweet-tooth cravings you might be having. I wanted to add some protein powder into this recipe to make these a great post-workout snack. I used Quest Salted Caramel whey protein (my favourite) but you could use a chocolate flavoured protein or even vanilla if you wanted a more subtle flavour.
RECIPE (serves 10-12)
- 200g rolled oats
- 40g protein powder (I used Quest Salted Caramel)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 50ml milk of choice (I used macadamia nut milk)
- handful of pumpkin seeds
1) Line a square baking tin with baking paper and preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2) In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients (oats, protein powder and cacao).
3) Heat the coconut oil, peanut butter and rice malt syrup in a saucepan. Once combined, add this mixture to the dry ingredients with the milk and stir well.
4) Transfer mixture into prepared baking tin, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and bake in oven for 15 minutes.
5) Leave to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into portions.
Oh and when you have a piece the next day, heat it in the microwave and top it with a piece of dark chocolate and let it melt... Yummmmm!