Protein bars are a great snack to carry with you in your handbag in case of emergencies (e.g. when hunger strikes and your only other option is KFC or McDonalds). Unfortunately most shop-bought protein bars are full of processed ingredients ranging from artificial sweeteners to palm oil - no thank youuuuu. And the more healthy paleo ones on the market often use dates as their main ingredient and are therefore loaded with sugar.
I thought it was about time I made my own healthy protein bar that is quick, easy and simple... et voila - here it is! Made with lots of nuts, natural protein powder (I use The Healthy Chef Vanilla WPI) and only a very small handful of dates, these bites are a nutrition powerhouse and taste absolutely delicious!
Recipe (12 bite-sized pieces)
- 120g almonds
- 80g walnuts
- 100g pitted dates (approx. 6)
- 30g shredded coconut
- 30g raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp peanut/almond butter
- 3 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp superfood berry powder (optional)
1) Line a square baking tin with baking paper
2) Add nuts, dates and shredded coconut to a food processor until the nuts resemble crumbs and the mixture is combined
3) Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and blend until well combined
4) Add a dash of water and blend again - keep doing this until the mixture comes together like a dough
5) Spoon the mixture into prepared baking tin and press down until flat
6) Leave to set in fridge for approx. 1-2 hours
7) Cut into small bite-sized portions and serve with toppings of choice (I used melted orange dark chocolate because I'm a chocaholic!)
Make sure to tag me in your photos when you re-create my recipes so I can give it a cheeky like and share the love - @josie_eatyourselfstrong.