The most common excuse I hear people use for not eating breakfast is that they don't have time. But, in my opinion, there is always time if you want there to be. This recipe proves that - it literally takes 5 minutes to make the night before and is ready to grab from the fridge in the morning!
Oats are a complex carbohydrate meaning they take longer to digest and therefore leave us feeling full for longer. The addition of protein powder gives this breakfast an extra boost (I never have breakfast that doesn't have some kind of protein in) and adds to that feeling of satiety which will stop you reaching for the biscuit tin at 11am. I use Awesome Supplements protein powder because it is delicious and not full of added chemicals and other crap. In the picture below I have topped the oats with a tablespoon of almond butter for my morning dose of healthy fats (and it tastes bloody good) and some fresh fruit.. yum!
Recipe (serves 1)
- 40g oats
- 125ml milk of choice
- 1 scoop flavoured protein powder (I used Awesome Supplements vanilla whey protein which you can buy here)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt
- toppings of choice: fruit, nuts, dark chocolate, nut butter....
1) Mix together the milk, greek yogurt and protein powder until well combined.
2) Stir through oats and chia seeds.
3) Leave in fridge overnight in container of choice (I use a tupperware because I take it to work with me but you can leave it in a bowl if you are going to eat it at home).
4) Before eating add toppings of choice - my favourites are fresh strawberries, almond butter and a square of dark choc.
You can eat this breakfast at home, on the bus/train on the way to work or even at your desk so there is definitely no reason to skip breakfast! And of course you don't have to eat it out of a jar (it just looks pretty) - a normal tupperware does the same job!