Recently one of my best friends has been on an elimination diet to try and figure out which foods are causing her issues. This means she's been unable to eat any diary, gluten, eggs, nuts, coffee or soy.
Basically, she can't eat any of the good stuff.
This friend also happens to be one that I go to brunch regularly with and therefore I have seen first-hand how limiting this diet is (what can you eat for breakfast if you can't have eggs on toast?).
So being the great friend that I am (lol), I offered to make some brownies for her to suit these dietary needs. The problem? Most vegan brownies use nuts as the main ingredient. Or they're vegan but not gluten-free.
But ALAS, I came up with a solution - I decided to make my own recipe. And the result? The fudgiest brownies everrrrrrrrrrrrr.
- 500g sweet potato
- 12 dates, pitted (250g)
- 100g oats
- 80g cacao powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (or honey if you're not vegan)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 100g dark chocolate (70-85% cocoa)
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line square tin with baking paper
2) Peel and chop sweet potato in small chunks and steam until cooked
3) Whilst sweet potato is cooking, blend oats in a food processor to form an oat flour
4) In a large mixing bowl combine oat flour, cacao, salt and baking powder
5) Once sweet potato is cooked, add to food processor with dates and blend until smooth
6) Add coconut oil, vanilla extract and sweetener of choice to the sweet potato/date mixture and combine well
7) Transfer sweet potato mixture to the large mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine
8) Break chocolate into small pieces and fold through mixture
9) Transfer mixture into lined baking tin and cook in oven for 20-25 minutes (or until knife comes out clean)
10) Leave to cool slightly before cutting and eating!
These delicious healthy brownies even got the seal of approval from 4 hungry men - one's that are very hard to please when it comes to healthy treats (they just don't get it!). So I promise you'll love them!