Is it just me or does a lemon cake trump a victoria sponge any day of the week?
So. Much. More. Flavour.
I was spending the day with a good friend at the weekend who is great at normal baking (when I say 'normal' I mean the classic style of baking - sugar, flour and all that jazz). So together we decided to bake a classic but with a healthy twist.
And here it is. Lemon Curd Yogurt Cake.
- 2 cups (200g) almond meal
- 3 eggs
- 50g coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (120g) honey
- juice and zest of one lemon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 2-3 lemons
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 100g greek yogurt
1) Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (fan forced) and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2) Add all the ingredients for the cake in a mixing bowl - mix well until completely combined with no lumps.
3) Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
4) Whilst cake is cooking, start to make the lemon curd by adding all the ingredients except the coconut oil and butter to a saucepan.
5) Stir gently over a low heat (so the eggs don't scramble) and gradually add the coconut oil/butter.
6) Once the coconut oil and butter has melted, slightly increase the temperature and continue to stir which will allow the mixture to thicken.
7) Once the mixture has thickened, take off the heat and place in fridge to cool down.
8) When the cake is cooked and out of the oven, leave to cool completely.
9) Combine the lemon curd with greek yogurt and cover the cake with the frosting.
10) Slice and eat!
As always, if you have any questions just leave a comment or send me an email. Enjoy!