A few weeks ago I went on the hunt for a healthy snack and I stumbled across some delicious vegan donuts from a healthy cafe near my work. Normally vegan donuts are.... let's just say a bit average to be honest, but these ones were so good that they inspired me to make my own healthy version.
My version are not vegan but they are gluten-free, refined sugar-free and dairy-free so they're just as healthy! Plusssss who can say no to having PB as a topping on a donut? Not me, that's fo shoooo.
Recipe (makes 6)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essense
- 1 tbsp peanut flour (optional)
1) Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and grease a donut tin with coconut oil.
2) Grind oats in a food processor/blender until it forms an oat flour.
3) Add all the rest of the ingredients into a big mixing bowl with the oat flour and mix well to combine.
4) Spoon mixture into donut moulds (be careful not to overfill).
5) Bake for 20 minutes (or until skewer comes out clean).
6) Leave to cool before decorating.
For my toppings I used half peanut butter (obvs) and the other half a chocolate sauce made from 2 tbsp cacao, 1 tsp coconut oil and honey to sweeten. You could also melt some dark chocolate to drizzle over the top. I finished them with a sprinkling of cinnamon and shredded coconut. Deliiiissssshhh.