Lamb is one of my favourite meats - BBQ'd, cooked with a roast dinner, Greek lamb skewers, lambs shanks... the list goes on! It is so versatile and can be really lean if you choose the right cuts. This salad uses leg steaks (I chose the 'heart smart' variety from Woolworths) and the macros per 100g are 130 calories, 22g protein and 4g fat... not bad at all.
This lean protein paired with crispy roasted sweet potato and fresh greens is perfect for a light and refreshing dinner in the summer months and the dressing just adds an extra kick! I was supposed to add feta to the top of this but I completely forgot so please feel free to add it to yours... it'll be delicious!
Recipe (serves 2)
- 300g lamb leg steak
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 spring onions, finely diced
- 1 bunch broccolini
- lettuce and/or spinach
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp honey
1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2) Chop sweet potato into chunks and mix together in a bowl with paprika, garlic powder, salt/pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil. Cook in oven for 30-40 minutes (until cooked).
3) Steam broccolini for 5 minutes.
4) When the sweet potato is almost done, season lamb leg steaks with salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary before pan-frying in 1 tbsp olive oil. Cook for approx. 3-4 minutes on each side.
5) Leave lamb to rest whilst you quickly toast the pine nuts for 2-3 mins in the same frying pan you used for the lamb.
6) Mix together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or mug.
7) Assemble the salad - either throw it all into a bowl and toss with the dressing (the lazy option) or layer each ingredient on top of one another, starting with lettuce/spinach at the bottom (the fancy option).