Anyone that knows me well will know that Mexican food is my absolute favourite. And, as basic as it might be, chilli con carne is no.1 on my list.
It's the perfect meal for so many occasions - midweek dinner, bulk meal-prep (freezes well), easy dinner party with friends, family catch-ups and kid-friendly (omit the chilli). You can serve it with rice, tortillas, nachos or even stuff it in a red capsicum... the opportunities are endless.
So I wanted to share with you my fool-proof recipe that I use week in and week out - there's no magic ingredients or fancy cooking methods. Just simple, wholesome ingredients that taste delicious.
RECIPE (serves 4-5)
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 jar (approx 300g) passata
- 250ml beef stock
- handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for frying)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- salt/pepper, to taste
1) Prepare all the vegetables by chopping, dicing or grating and leave to one side
2) Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan and leave for 1-2 minutes to heat up
3) Add onion, carrot, zucchini, chilli and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft, stirring regularly
4) Add all the dry spices, mix well to combine and leave to cook for another 3-4 minutes
5) Add beef mince and cook through until browned
6) Add the remaining vegetables, kidney beans, passata, beef stock and salt & pepper. Simmer over a medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and thickened
7) Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with fresh coriander (I also like to add feta here)
8) Enjoy with rice, nachos, tortillas, cauliflower rice or just by itself!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Remember to share your photos on social media and tag me so I can see what you're cooking!