Halloween... definitely not a holiday I am fussed about in any way. Except to use it as an excuse to bake obviously.
And I happened to have a brand new packet of my friend Steph's (@betterbeingsteph) Better Being Blends - Carrot Pineapple Spice to use which I thought would go perfectly with pumpkin!
This recipe was a complete experiment and in all honesty I didn't think it was going to work but it seemed to turn out well! I hope you enjoy them (I'd probably stop here if you don't like pumpkin though).
RECIPE (makes 6 small pies)
- 80g Better Being Blend mixture
- 50g oats, blended into flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp water
- 200g cooked pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 10g vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a cupcake tin (I use silicone moulds because it's easy to take the pies out of them)
2) Mix together the base ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Then divide between the 6 cupcake cases and push down to desired thickness.
3) Bake the base in the oven for 15 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, blend all the filling ingredients in a food processor until smooth - taste and adjust accordingly (you might want to add more honey or maybe some other spices e.g. ginger). N.B: at this point my mixture was really runny so I didn't think it was going to work but they still cooked fine so if yours is the same don't worry!
5) Take the bases out of the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes. Then divide the pumpkin puree mixture between the cupcake cases.
6) Pop back in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the puree is set (should be only slighty soft to touch).
7) Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!
P.S. for those of you who haven't got the Better Being Blend mixture for the base you can use my oat base from my Healthy Twix Bars instead!