Protein Banana Bread with Walnuts & Dark Chocolate
I love banana bread.
I think I've created about 1000000 different banana bread recipes since I started baking and every single one is slightly different but always delicious.
Protein powder is always tricky to bake with because it can make the texture quite dry but this worked so well! Plus, you can't beat walnuts and chocolate in banana bread - best combo ever.
There is also NO added sugar in this whole recipe - the sweetness comes from the bananas, xylitol and whatever sweetener your protein powder has in. I've also tried to use as little oil as possible to keep the calories lower. Because, as delicious as banana bread is, even the healthier recipes are still very calorie dense and sometimes we just want something a little bit lighter - this is perfect for those days.
RECIPE (makes 8 large slices)
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed with a fork (approx. 250g)
- 1/2 cup / 70g buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup / 50g almond flour
- 30g vanilla protein powder (I used Women's Best Whey)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp / 30ml coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp / 30g xylitol (or sugar alternative of choice)
- 30g walnuts, chopped
- 30g dark chocolate, broken into chunks (I used Lindt 85%)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a loaf tin with baking paper
2) In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients
3) Then add all the wet ingredients and beat with a wooden spoon until well-combined
4) Stir through the dark chocolate and chopped walnuts (saving a bit for the toppings)
5) Pour mixture into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle with the leftover chocolate and walnuts
6) Bake in oven for 50 minutes - 1 hour (or until the skewer comes out clean)
7) Leave to cool for 15 minutes and then slice carefully... and eat!
I like to serve mine warm with some PB on top (obvs) and a spoonful of yogurt - delisshhh.